domingo, 27 de marzo de 2016

Mexico City, Mexico

On December, I had the chance to visit several states of my country as a christmas gift. The first place where I went -as the title says- is Mexico City, which is considered the capital of the country. Usually lots of people from other countries come here cause it's full of beautiful architecture and history (oh and also lots of business). Mexico City is where the so mentioned and famous couple Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera used to live in a house that's now a Museum called "Museo Frida Kahlo" or "La casa azul". And speaking of museums, definitely the one that caught my eye was "El Palacio de Bellas Artes".

Look at that roof though! This is an art museum that not only includes exhibitions of paintings but also includes any type/form of art such as theater, music, dance and even opera. Of course on vacations the lines to enter are just insane, but totally worth it and a must-see if you ever come to Mexico City. Now, speaking of architecture just look at these pictures:


But not only it has contemporary buildings, it also has an old ones. This is called Plaza de la Constitución where many tour buses stop to give you a ride for a small amount. I really liked this one cause somehow the small buildings and windows look very pretty and on christmas they decorate it beautifully.


After being back and forth buying food from near here, we went to Xochimilco. I had been there before but this time we went at night. Soooooo I didn't really take pictures of the trajineras, which are small and really colorful canoes with a lot of chairs and a large table. You get in and enjoy a ride through the lake with beer, food, music played by mariachis on another trajinera! and at night, they give you candles. 

Let's just not pay attention to my awkward face (it was the only picture I had of some trajineras!) each one has a specific name, sadly there's no one with mine -as always-. It is important to know that every thing on them is handmade and painted with dedication.

So it's well known that us mexicans are somehow "attracted to death" and we're full of scary legends and stories. Of course Xochimilco isn't the exception, these dolls that you see here sticked to the trunks are part of a legend called "La isla de las muñecas" (the island of the dolls). There are two versions of this legend, the first one talks about a man called Julián Santana whose daughter died drowned on the lake, so he hanged dolls on trees to scare away his daughter's ghost. The second one is supposedly told by his niece who assured his uncle was "tired and disturbed" from the spirit of a woman who drowned on the lake, so he hanged the dolls on the trees to scare her away.


From my personal experience I remember seeing these dolls years ago when I went to Xochimilco, but it was during the day and I was just curious but still scared. But oh boy, at night it seems way scarier lol.

The next and last day we went to Teotihuacán (which means birth place of the gods) to see the pyramids. The day was just beautiful and later it began to get warmer. The first time I went there I climbed aaaall the way up both Sun and Moon pyramids, but this time the line was just ridiculous so I thought I'd just stare at them and take pictures haha.

Sun Pyramid


Look at THAT line! 


Moon Pyramid:


You can't climb all the way up to the Moon's pyramide now though, they just let you go half the way.
I got a keychain and my brother bought this awesome handmade lion that whistles like a chimera when you blow:

A funny fact about this trip is that where I'm from, we call "quesadilla" a taco with only cheese on it, and in Mexico City, a "quesadilla" is a normal taco! So I felt really weird saying "quesadilla with cheese" cause it felt like a redundancy hahaha. But I loved Mexico City and would definitely visit again. 

I hope I didn't bore you all! Thank you for reading.


-Alexandra

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario